Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


13 November 2019

Club News


13 November 2019

BURTON Albion's Young Brewers were cruelly knocked out of the FA Youth Cup on penalties, following a 1-1 draw after 120 minutes of open play.

The Brewers started on the front foot and had the best of the opening chances, with winger Jack Holmes a lively presence out on the left-hand side.

He cut inside well after a flowing Albion move and curled a shot narrowly over the crossbar on nine minutes before linking up well with Tom Armitage, playing the left-back in down the channel with a neat backheel, but Bolton were able to scramble Armitage's cross clear.

Holmes continued to be a threat throughout the first half but Bolton would have the next clearcut chance on 20 minutes, with left-back Myles Edmondson flicking the ball into the box and latching onto it, before firing a volley wide of the near post.

The visitors came into the game from there with Finley Lockett and Lamine Toure both going close, unable to test Teddy Sharman-Lowe in the Albion goal. 

But it would be Albion who took the lead on the stroke of half-time as Tyo Carter played a half-cleared corner back into the box into the path of NYIRENDA, who turned past his markers and fired in powerfully, in off the crossbar.


Nyirenda went close for the Brewers early in the second half but Wanderers remained a threat, with Joe White played in behind on 64 minutes but blazing his effort wide of the near post.

Albion held firm in defence but in the 77th minute, RICHARDS rose highest to power a header home from a corner, finding the bottom-right corner.

A ball over the top in the 90th minute had Richards in trouble and Hewlett did superbly to get in behind and draw a foul in the box from the Bolton defender, but the Brewers captain saw his spot-kick well saved by Matthew Alexander.


Wanderers had a glorious chance to take the lead in the 93rd minute, but Sharman-Lowe produced a superb save from Finley Lockett, who found himself free at the back post with the goal at his mercy.

From the resulting corner, Markus Assarsson glanced a header narrowly wide of the far post.

And Sharman-Lowe had to be alert with five minutes to play in the first half of extra time as Assarsson side-footed one at goal, but the keeper got down low to his right to make a smart save.

Substitute Matty Richardson was sent off in the 115th minute, putting Albion down to 10 men for the final 15 minutes.

It then came down to penalties, with neither side able to find the net in the very late stages of extra time.

Cruelly it was the resilient Brewers who were knocked out, with Bolton Wanderers progressing into the third round and a tie against Millwall. 

YOUNG BREWERS: Sharman-Lowe, Idouarab, Armitage, Carter, Lal (Radcliffe , McDonnell (Redfern 87), Shittu (Hickson 98), McLean, Hewlett (C), Nyirenda, Holmes (Richardson 98). Subs not used: Smith (GK), Hickson, Richardson, Radcliffe, Latty-Fairweather, Williams.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account