Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


23 November 2019

Match Reports


23 November 2019

JOE Ward's stoppage time screamer cruelly ripped a point from Albion's grasp at the end of a tightly fought encounter with promotion-chasing Peterborough United.

It was always going to take something special to settle a game between two evenly matched sides on a horrible afternoon, weather-wise, in Cambridgeshire and Ward's 30 yard thunderbolt moments after the game had ticked past the regulation ninety minutes proved the difference as the Brewers were cruelly denied any return from a game where they, arguably, had the better chances.

Neither keeper was seriously busy as defences and midfields dominated. John Brayford forced an excellent save from Christy Pym in the home goal and Kieran O'Hara had to extend himself to keep out a rasping effort from Posh skipper Mark Beevers but neither sides probing could find a real opening.

It was a bitter pill for Albion to swallow having found their scoring mojo in the week against Salford in the FA Cup.

Despite having the options to bring both Liam Boyce and Nathan Broadhead straight back into the team after international duty Brewers boss Nigel Clough opted for just the one change to take on The Posh. Richard Nartey, having recovered sufficiently from his hamstring strain, was restored to the side to inject some more pace at the back as skipper Jake Buxton moved to the bench. Clough put his faith in the forwards who had put Salford to the sword last time out.

Both sides spent the early moments probing each others defences. Posh trying to use the pace of young Ricky-Jade Jones against Nartey whilst Albion were looking to the mercurial David Templeton to provide an opening. And it nearly came on five minutes when the winger drove the ball across the box. Oliver Sarkic couldnt quite get there but the ball broke for Fraser to fire just wide.

Peterborough turned to their talismanic winger Marcus Maddison on ten minutes, the midfielder driving a swerving 25 yarder over O'Hara's crossbar.

Both sides looked intenting on attacking and skipper-on-the-day Brayford fired wide of the post after good link-up down the right hand side with both Lucas Akins and Sarkic.

Posh were starting to win the midfield duel, having identified both Fraser and Templeton as the main Albion threats and in their best move to date Harrison Burrows was found on the left to deliver a teasing cross that was well cut out by John-Joe O'Toole at the heart of the Brewers defence.

Albion began to have their own spell of pressure and with Quinn pulling the strings, with what was beginning to look like a midfield masterclass, the chance was set up for Templeton to try one of his trademark curling efforts from distance but on this occasion the Scot could not quite curl it onto the target from 25 yards out.

The Brewers were pressing hard as half time approached and Fraser managed to dance his way past four challenges inside the box before drilling a low cross through the six yard box but the only thing that ended up in the back of the net was Posh left back Dan Butler who was trying desperately to clear his lines.

It was a rousing way to bring the first half to a close but it remained goalless despite Albion dominating the stats around chances created.

Half time: Peterborough United 0-0 Burton Albion

The hosts came out firing for the second half after a poor showing in the first forty-five minutes but Albion weathered the early storm including a free kick after Ryan Edwards had picked up the first yellow card of the game after an altercation with Maddison on half way.

But the home side were getting closer and they would have been ahead on 55 minutes through Mo Eisa if it hadnt been for Kieran Wallace being in the right place to block his shot on the turn.

On the hour mark it was time for Broadhead to enter the action with Templeton once again having given everything he had during his stint on the pitch before making way for fresh legs.

Maddison, operating in a central role found space to let go with a long range effort but it was never seriously troubling O'Hara who saved comfortably on his six-yard line.

Albion began to exert themselves more again as the game entered the final quarter, Broadhead with a sweet cross with the outside of his boot finding Edwards at the back post and the midfielder finding Brayford on his inside to send a stinging shot goalwards that Christy Pym had to mobilise himself for to push it aside.

Broadhead's involvement lasted just shy of a quarter of an hour as the young Welshman took a knock and gingerly left the field to be replaced by Boyce.

Albion tried to profit from a free kick with fifteen minutes to go but although Edwards got his shot on target from the edge of the area it didnt have the power to seriously test Pym who collected with ease.

The home crowd were getting behind their troops late on when they were fortuitously awarded a corner after the assistant ruled that O'Hara had carried ther ball out of play despite being on the blind side of the action. O'Hara picked up a yellow card for his protestations but was quckly back in the zone to make a fine save from Mark Beevers raking drive.

Albion's final change saw Sarkic hobble off after inside the final five minutes with former Posh defender Colin Daniel pushed into action on the left hand side and Akins moving out to the right as Boyce became the lone striker.

The board had just gone up to indicate six additional minutes when WARD controlled the ball in midfield and took aim. It was speculative but enough to seal the three points.



Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account