Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


12 November 2019

BURTON Albion bowed out of the Trophy after losing 1-2 to Mansfield at the Pirelli Stadium.

The Brewers went into the game in third place in Northern Group E knowing that a draw would take them above Crewe in second place and into the last 32.

The Brewers were without Liam Boyce, Nathan Broadhead and Kieran O’Hara, who were all on international duty, while Richard Nartey, Lloyd Dyer and Reece Hutchinson were ruled out through injury.

Ben Garratt made his first start for the Brewers in goal with Joe Sbarra leading the attack.

Colin Daniel returned to the starting line-up at left back.

The Brewers opened the game brightly winning four early corners, all whipped in by David Templeton but well defended by Mansfield.

Lucas Akins let fly on eight minutes with a bending shot that was brilliantly tipped over the bar by Bobby Olejnik.

On 12 minutes it was Garratt’s turn to save his team getting down well to stop Omari Sterling-James’ shot after Stephen Quinn’s stumble had let the visitors’ break.

On 17 minutes Jacob Mellis found space on the edge of the box but blasted over the bar.

Mansfield took the lead on 23 minutes when Danny Rose got a clear run on goal and lifted the ball over the advancing Garratt.

The Brewers fell further behind when Ryan Sweeney rose highest from a corner to head home from eight yards on 34 minutes.

But David Templeton pulled one back almost immediately with another stunning finish, curling it in from the edge of the box into the top corner.

The Albion No 11 was then denied twice more before the break – on 42 minutes with a low drive that Olejnik scrambled away and on 45 minutes cutting inside and unleashing a fierce shot that the Mansfield keeper could only parry.

Half-Time: 1-2

Oliver Sarkic replaced Jake Buxton at the start of the second half for the Brewers.

On 58 minutes Templeton tried his luck from a free kick which was deflected over the bar and Albion piled on pressure from the corner, but the ball wouldn’t drop for Joe Sbarra.

Rose should have extended Mansfield’s lead on 60 minutes when he ran clear of the Brewers defence only to shoot into the side netting as Garratt came out to meet him.

A minute later Sarkic found space at the far post but Olejnik saved well and Mansfield cleared the rebound.

On 66 minutes Sarkic pulled the ball back for Akins who tried to bundle the ball over the line but Mansfield closed him down well.

The Brewers continued to waste good chances with Colin Daniel getting on the end of a cross but steering the ball just wide with eight minutes left.

But Albion couldn’t find the breakthrough and bowed out of the competition,

Full-time: 1-2

Attendance: 485 

Advertisement block