Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


7 October 2019

THE Brewers made progress in the Birmingham Senior Cup with a 6-3 win at Hednesford Town

The Southern League Central Premier Division side were brushed aside by a strong Albion squad.

The pitch at Keys Park survived the weekend rain and The Brewers team featured all the subs from Saturday’s away win at MK Dons, led by skipper Jake Buxton continuing his recovery from a rib injury. They were joined by first year pros Nathan Morley, Ben Hart and Ethan Vale with Academy prospect Tom Hewlett up front.

Joe Sbarra had the first shot of the game after six minutes testing Daniel Platt with a low effort at the near post.

On eight minutes Templeton raced into the box and squared for Lloyd Dyer who was stopped from scoring by a last ditch tackle from Ben Bailey. But the Brewers took full advantage from the resulting corner with Jake Buxton powering a header home.

After 11 minutes Albion doubled their advantage with a poweful low drive into the bottom corner from David Templeton comprehensively beating Platt.

Tom Hewlett nearly made it three after 25 minutes finding space on the left and hitting a dipping shot that scraped the cross bar.

On 30 minutes a lovely interchange of passes saw Dyer set up Hewlett - who skewed his shot wide.

On 32 minutes an injury forced Hednesford to replace Matthias Curley with Izak Reid.

The Brewers made it 3-0 on 36 minutes after a quick passing move released Dyer and he slotted home sweetly.

Carter Lycett had the home side’s best effort with a shot from 20 yards but Jack Livesey saved comfortably.

But Albion confirmed their first half dominance when Hewlett got the goal he deserved finding space in the box and beating Platt with a cool finish.

Half-time: 0-4

The Brewers continued in the same free-flowing form after the break and made it five on 50 minutes. Joe Sbarra made it through on goal after stealing the ball off Bailey but unselfishly squared for Hewlett to tap in for his second of the night.

On 57 minutes Hednesford pulled one back with Bradley Wells shooting from the edge of the box, Jack Livesey getting down to save well but only pushing it to Tom Fry to slot into the empty net.

Hednesford made a double substitution bringing on Kieran Wells for Bradley Wells and Kristian Scott for Jack Hallahan two minutes later.

The home side then scored again with former Brewer Elliott Hodge firing home after a good move on 63 minutes.

On 69 minutes Templeton fired home from outside the box for the second time in the game to make it six for Albion.

But two minutes later the goal scoring continued when Fry netted direct from a corner for the home side.

On 74 minutes Tom Armitage replaced the injured Tom Hewlett and on 78 minutes Jevan Anderson limped off and was replaced by Jack Holmes.

Templeton came close to completing his hat-trick on 80 minutes beating his man in the box before poking the ball inches wide.

But the final ten minutes produced no more goals and Albion ran out winners.


Brewers: 1: Jack Livesey, 2 Jevan Anderson, 3 Colin Daniel, 4 Joe Sbarra, 5 Jake Bucton (C), 6 Ethan Vale, 7 Nathan Morley, 8 Ben Hart, 9 Tom Hewlett, 10 Lloyd Dyer 11 David Templeton. Subs: 12 Jack Holmes (for Anderson 78 mins) 13 Teddy Sharman-Lowe 14 Tom Armitage (for Hewlett 74 mins), 15 Tyo Carter (for Vale 85 mins), 16 Chris Beardlsey

Hednesford: 1 Daniel Platt, 2 Matthias Curley, 3 Carter Lycett, 4 Ben Bailey (C), 5 Charlie Gatter, 6 Billy Daniels, 7 Jack Hallahan, 8 Bradley Wells, 9 Andre Brown, 10 Thomas Fry, 11 Elliott Hodge. Subs: 12 Kieran Morris, 14 Kristian Scott (for Hallahan 59 mins), 15 Izak Reid (for Curley 32 mins), 16 Daniel Glover, 17 Kieran Wells (for Bradley Wells 59 mins)

Ref: S Barrow


Advertisement block