Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


23 October 2019

Club News


23 October 2019

The Young Brewers's unbeaten home record came to an end on Tuesday after going down to a late goal against Chesterfield at St. George's Park.

Despite opening the scoring with a well worked move in the first half, finished off by Matty Richardson, an instant response from the visitors and a goal late in the second half condemned the hosts to defeat.

While Chesterfield may have found themselves behind first, they did start the brighter, forcing Nathan Smith into a full length save down low to keep the scores unchanged.

After that early scare, the hosts began to grow into the game and their first corner saw Rueben Lal go close but his header off of Owen Hickson's corner was blocked by an opposition body.

Back in his more accustomed area at the back, Lal this time instigated the move leading to the opening goal after pinging a channel ball out to right winger Jack Holmes.

Holmes received that ball and cut inside before finding his opposite wide man Richardson who took a touch to set before hitting it early, low and out of the reach of the visiting goalkeeper.

Reflecting on the goal, Professional Development Phase Coach Sam Rose was pleased with how it was created, with caveats, stating: “The first goal was well worked, but it was one of the few chances that was clear cut and from the amount of possession we had and positions we got in to, we should've scored more than the one.”

“That'll be something we work on, how to break down a team who sit behind the ball and make it difficult for you,” Rose said.

A little over three minutes after finding the back of the net, Chesterfield were level following a shot from distance that, having taken a wicked deflection, looped over Smith leaving the ‘keeper with no chance.

Early into the second half the Young Brewers produced their best piece of play since the goal as Tyo Carter instigated a flowing move following a well won tackle that really deserved to be converted.

Carter played the ball to Hickson and the midfield pair exchanged one-twos, advancing up the pitch, before the latter threaded through a pass to Tom Hewlett but the centre forward was denied by the onrushing goalkeeper.

At the other end, Smith was called upon again soon after the hour mark and produced a sprawling save to deny Chesterfield taking the lead from the second phase of a corner.

Holmes went close from a corner of the hosts own after Lal had knocked down Hickson’s delivery, but the winger fired his effort just over.

Then came the Chesterfield sucker punch from yet another corner, which, having been half cleared, fell in the box to a visiting player who tucked home from close range to give his side a lead that they would not relinquish.

Speaking on the performance as a whole, Rose surmised: “This is youth football and as a team of players and staff we've still got lots of work to do. We'll take it on the chin, bounce back and look forward to Saturday now when we play Accrington Stanley.”

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account