Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


22 October 2019

Match Reports


22 October 2019

DAVID Templeton scored his first league goal of the season as the Brewers got back to winning ways with a 1-0 victory over AFC Wimbledon

The Scottish winger reminded Brewers fans of his mercurial talents in the first half and was there to run onto a sublime pass from Kieran Wallace to slide thew ball beyond Wombles keeper Nathan Trott after a good spell of pressure.

Try as they might though Albion could not quite get the second goal that would have made the evening a more comfortable affair with several good chances not taken in both halves with the Wombles failing to manage a shot on target despite periods of pressure late on as Albion defended resolutely.

Oliver Sarkic missed out for the Brewers having picked up a hamstring injury and John Brayford was rested after playing his first 90 minutes after injury at the weekend and with a busy schedule of fixtures coming up. Templeton and Liam Boyce came back into the side meaning a switch to right back for the versatile Lucas Akins who also sported the captain's armband.

Albion were on the front foot quickly with Templeton driving a low effort into the box where it struck Scott Fraser taking the sting out of the shot and Nathan Broadhead was soon set free down the right driving a low cross into the box that was intercepted by Nathan Trott in the Wimbledon goal before Boyce could pounce on the edge of the six yard box.

Broadhead took control of a set piece on nine minutes when Templeton was bundled over just outside the box but his curling effort had Trott at full stretch but relieved to see it creep past the post.

Wimbledon briefly broke free of their defensive shackles to generate some pressure around the Albion box but a long ball out from Hutchinson soon picked out the run of Broadhead and he almost profited as Trott and Paul Osew almost got themselves in a tangle at close quarters inside their own box.

Wombles centre-back Paul Kalambayi went into referee Darren Handley's book for a robust challenge on Hutchinson before Albion produced some more slick passing to get Akins in on the overlap with his cross deflecting nicely into the path of Broadhead whose rising drive was tipped over by Trott.

Templeton was close also with a low angled shot after tricking his way into the area on 25 minutes. Broadhead at the far post could not quite get there to finish it and give Albion a lead they deserved.

They only had to wait until minute 31 to finally grab the lead. Wallace probed for an opening and found the perfect pass through the visitors defence to set TEMPLETON through, the winger taking a touch before prodding the ball beyond the advancing Trott for his first League goal of the campaign.

Wimbledon briefly threatened again when Scott Wagstaff got in beyond the back post but Osew's angled cross was always going to be difficult to control and he could only sky his effort over.

From a Wombles corner Albion quickly broke upfield after a poor touch in midfield and Broadhead was able to send Edwards away and into the box with his angled shot towards the far post just tipped around the upright by the fingertips of Trott.

Half time: Burton Albion 1-0 AFC Wimbledon

Albion quickly had a chance to double their lead when Fraser broke forward. With options left and right he went for Boyce to his right and the striker set himself before lashing his shot into the side netting from a tightening angle.

Broadhead was also close to the sought after second goal with a low drive from the edge of the box on 52 minutes as the visitors struggled to clear their lines.

John-Joe O'Toole then went into the referee's book for a perfectly good challenge near the touchline that took the ball as cleanly as any tackle you are likely to see this season.

Templeton lasted until the 62nd minute after his injury lay-offs and was replaced by Lloyd Dyer for the final quarter of the game.

Dyer was quickly into his stride down the left and he put the ball on a plate for Broadhead on 72 minutes with the young Welshman steering the ball past Trott but also inches wide of the far post from inside the six yard box.

Wimbledon sent on striker Kwesi Appiah and he ws on the end of a low cross from fellow sub Nesta Guinness-Walker on 80 minutes but could not get his near post effort on target.

Albion lost Boyce to injury inside the last ten minutes with Brayford coming on allowing Akins to move into attack for the closing stages.

And Jake Buxton was sent on late in the day to help see the Brewers through a nervy last spell of the game as the Wombles threw everything at the Brewers but failed to force O'Hara into anything resembling a meaningful save on a night when they failed a muster an attempt on target.

Alibon back to winning ways then. A win is a win and that, despite the scoreline, was relatively comfortable.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account