Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


29 February 2020

HONOURS even at the Pirelli Stadium as John Brayford's thumping header secured a point from a 1-1 draw with Peterborough United.

Both goals came in a second half that was infinitely better than the first as strong winds made conditions for flowing football difficult.

Mo Eisa grabbed the lead for the visitors after they capitalised on Albion missing two defensive headers to create an opportunity for the striker to fire home just after the break. Brayford though led by example and his powerful header was enough to secure a hard earned point.

Injury forced the Brewers into one change for the vist of Posh, Conor Shaughnessy picked up a knock in training in the days before the game and had to surrender his place in the back three to Kieran Wallace as Albion stuck with the 3-5-2 formation that earned victory at Southend in the last outing.

Both sides struggled early on in the blustery conditions with passes overhit or holding up in the conditions and it was the visitors with the first moment of any real danger when they won a corner on 16 minutes that went past everyone in the box allowing Albion to eventually clear the danger.

Kieran O'Hara was eventually called into action on 24 minutes as midfielder Jack Taylor looked up from midfield and decided to have a crack at goal from at least 25 yards yards forcing the keeper to beat the ball away as it travelled at pace straight at him.

The visitors continued to use the conditions marginally better and when a driven pass through the middle found the run of Eisa the striker looked poised to open the scoring until the flag of the assistant ruled that his shot, which ony found the side netting anyway, would have been cancelled out even if he had found the target.

Albion had to dig in to half time and with the conditions against them level at the break was not too disappointing.

Half time: Burton Albion 0--0 Peterborough United

Having defended so well in the first period some poor work at the back handed United the lead six minutes after the break. Albion missed two headed chances to clear on the edge of their own box allowing Siriki Dembele to find EISA, the striker calmly slotting home into the bottom corner.

Albion quickly made a change with Reece Hutchinson coming on for Colin Daniel, the Brewers having already reverted to a back four late in the first half.

Hutchinson was soon in the thick of the action sending in a teasing centre just after the hour mark that just evaded the outstretched leg of Ryan Edwards trying to advance into the box and bag himself an equaliser.

Albion did not have long to wait for the leveller though and it was the skipper leading by example as BRAYFORD met Sarkic's corner with a firm downward header that bounced into the roof of the net.

For a while Albion pressed for a second but it was United who went closest to striking again, Eisa forcing a good save out of O'Hara with his legs.

The Brewers were going for it from here on in as both Scott Fraser and Nathan Broadhead were introducing as attacking substitutes in the final quarter of the game to try and win it.

Fraser came closest to snatching all three points for Albion in the final minute of normal time with a driven effort that flew wide of Christy Pym's goal.



Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account