Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


23 March 2020

Sponsored by

Apologies, this video is unvailable.

IN August 2012, under the stewardship of Gary Rowett, Burton Albion recorded a stunning 4-2 win at the home of Leicester City in the second round of the League Cup.

Watch the highlights above, then read through Ian Hawkins' match report from the game below!

Burton Albion stunned npower Championship side Leicester City with a magnificent 4-2 victory in the club's first ever appearance in the second round of the Capital One Cup. It was a triumphant return for manager Gary Rowett, goalkeeping coach Kevin Poole and ex-Foxes players Billy Kee and Adi Yussuf and to top it off Leicester-born Cleveland Taylor was on the scoresheet for Albion's second.

Although under the cosh for most of the first half Albion went in front through Chris Palmer's deflected free kick and went from strength-to-strength in the second half with strikes from Taylor, Robbie Weir from the penalty spot and a stunning strike from Jacques Maghoma with Leicester only having two strikes to show for their efforts in the second half.

Rowett opted for changes to personnel and formation in an attempt to spring another upset. Calvin Zola started as a lone striker making his first start of the new season meaning that Kee and Yussuf had to settle for the bench on their return to their former stomping ground and there were recalls to the side for Marcus Holness in defence, and Lee Bell and Chris Palmer in midfield as the Brewers went for solidity rather than flair. Leicester made eight changes to their side and there was no place in the squad for former Fleetwood striker Jamie Vardy, an Albion target a little over 12 months ago.

An early injury to Lee Bell gave Albion something of a scare but after receiving treatment inside the penalty area the summer recruit from Crewe was able to continue.

Unsurprisingly it was the home side who had most of the early play but a cross to the far post was just too high for Paul Gallagher before a cross from the left saw Damien McCrory flattened by two Leicester players battling to head the ball home. Jeff Schlupp then skewed a shot wide of the post as Leiceser began to settle.

Just short of the quarter of an hour mark Ross Atkins had to dash from his goal as Anthony Knockaert raced onto a through ball from midfield with the Albion keeper taking the ball off the toes of the Leicester man to the left hand side of his penalty area.

Albion had their first real sight of goal in the 19th minute as Calvin Zola was fouled 22 yards from goal in a very promising position and after a slight deflection in the wall Chris PALMER lashed the ball home to the joy of the Albion supporters in the corner of the ground.

Leicester were stung into going for a quick response but shots from distance by both Gallagher and Knockaert failed to trouble Atkins.

The Foxes were screaming for a penalty in the 28th minute but referee Darren Drysdale was not swayed. Schlupp tried to burst into the box and both he and Marcus Holness went to ground as the ball dribbled out for what was eventually a corner. Zak Whitbread then saw his header deflected over and Ritchie De Laet should probably have done better than plant his downward back-post header the wrong side of the post.

As Leicester cranked up the pressure Atkins had to produce another save, this time low to his left as Schlupp turned and fired a shot in that the Albion stopper was thankful to grab at the second attempt.

Albion found themselves increasingly penned back as half time approached and it took another good stop by Atkins with the help of Zander Diamond's header to keep out another shot from Gallagher and with all hands to the pump Albion survived when De Laet thudded in a shot from distance only to see it pushed over the bar.

Against the run of play Jacques Maghoma almost made it two in the 43rd minute. Calvin Zola, excellently leading the line won the ball and knocked it down for Maghoma, from 25 yards, to force Kasper Schmeichel into a full length save going low to his left.

Knockaert had one last chance as the first half came to a close but his low drove from just inside the area was straight at Atkins who calmly dropped on the ball.

Half time: Leicester City 0-1 Burton Albion

Both sides took to the field for the second half unchanged and it was former Manchester United man De Laet who was the first to set about trying to put the Foxes back on level terms. A storming run from inside his own half took him deep into the penalty area and his deflected cross was grabbed by Atkins at full stretch beneath his crossbar.

More desperate defending followed as Schlupp got to the byline and crossed in low with Anthony O'Connor flinging himself into the firing line to clear at the expense of a corner kick.

Albion did create chances of their own though. Zola won another excellent flick-on that put Cleveland Taylor in, his lay off was into the path of Robbie Weir but he screwed his shot well off target from the edge of the area.

Atkins was grateful that a header from Jeff Schlupp was straight at him in the 52nd minute and a minute later Albion were 2-0 up as Cleveland TAYLOR swivelled in the box to smash a volley beyond Schmeichel from ten yards.

Waghorn then blazed over for the Foxes after a surging run from Schlupp and it was then time for Leicester to make their first change as they looked to turn the game around. Paul Gallagher was sacrificed to allow Marco Futacs to join the attack.

On the hour mark though it was game on as Leicester scored from a set piece. Anthony KNOCKAERT was fouled by Robbie Weir 25 yards from goal and the Foxes' new signing got up to curl the free kick past Atkins who had no chance.

But just as the Foxes raised themselves for an onslaught on the Burton goal Albion were dramatically awarded a penalty. Jack Dyer had just been brought on for goalscorer Taylor as Albion had been awarded a free kick. Chris Palmer's free kick was swung in and as Robbie Weir battled to smash home the loose ball it struck a hand with referee Darren Drysdale pointing to the spot to the amazement of the Leicester players. After the protests had died down WEIR nervelessly stepped up and smashed the penalty into the roof of Schmeichels net.

Three minutes later and Albion were stunning their hosts again. As Albion battled in midfield for control of the ball it fell to MAGHOMA all of 25 yards out who smashed a shot sailing over the head of the stunned Leicester keeper to make it four.

Leicester tried their hardest to get something to give them a lifeline but substitute Futacs could only put a shot straight at Atkins as things opened up for him with 15 minutes to go.

Heading into the last 10 minutes and Leicester had another dangerous free kick in and around the Burton penalty area but this time Atkins was able to watch as Paul Konchesky curled the ball wide of the target.

With Zola tiring and suffering with cramp it was time for Adi Yussuf to get the last eight minutes as Albion looked to see out the remainder of the game.

There was still time for Billy Kee to get a run out as Chris Palmer was withdrawn for the final few minutes and Kee had only been on the pitch a matter of moments when Leicester got a second goal. A surging run down the left saw the ball land at the feet of FUTACS and with a swing of the boot he hooked the ball in via the far post.

There was to be no late comeback and Albion can look forward to being in the third round draw for the first time in their history.

LEICESTER: Schmeichel, De Laet, Konchesky, Whitbread, Danns, St Ledger, Waghorn, James, Gallagher (Futacs, 56), Schlupp (Nugent, 65), Knockaert (King, 74). Substitutes: Morgan, King, Logan, Beckford, Moore.

ALBION: Atkins; O'Connor, Holness, Diamond, McCrory; Taylor (Dyer, 63), Weir, Bell, Maghoma, Palmer; Zola (Yussuf, 82). Substitutes: Lyness, Corbett, Webster, Kee, Richards, Yussuf.

Referee: Mr. D.Drysdale (Lincolnshire)

GOALS: Foxes - Knockaert (60), Futacs (87); Albion - Palmer (20), Taylor (53), Weir (65 pen), Maghoma (68)

Attendance: 8,560 (662 away)

Advertisement block