Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

NEXT ROUND OF TESTS WILL DECIDE IF BLACKPOOL FIXTURE GOES AHEAD

25 January 2021

WHETHER Burton Albion’s away fixture at Blackpool on Saturday is played or not will only be decided after another round of Covid-19 tests on Wednesday.

Tomorrow’s home game against Shrewsbury has already been postponed after a number of positive cases of coronavirus were confirmed in the first team squad.

The players and backroom staff are now all away from the Pirelli Stadium, and won’t return until given the green light after the scheduled tests on Wednesday.

Brewers manager Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink says that if the game does go ahead it gives his team precious little preparation time.

“The club is closed down now, and we are not allowed in until Wednesday when we all be tested again and once we get the results back they will say what will happen. The club will be disinfected and all that kind of stuff to make sure the bug is out of the club.

“The players who are infected can’t do anything; the ones who aren’t can only do a bit of fitness work. We can do nothing as a group and if we come back after Wednesday, we only have two days and if the game goes ahead, they will be open for injuries as they have not trained and still have to then put that amount of stress on their bodies.

“But we will see what they say on Wednesday and take it from there.

“We have eight people affected and eight in our squad is a lot of people. The danger is of it escalating, which is why everyone needs to be away from each other to stop it going any further.”

The manager himself has tested negative and continues to be active in the transfer market as the clock runs down until deadline day.

“It hasn’t stopped me looking to improve the squad. There are still lots of calls being made in an effort to re-energise the squad and get it better.”


Advertisement block