Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


17 November 2021

BURTON Albion advanced to the third round of the Birmingham Senior Cup with a 4-1 win on penalties at Halesowen Town last night.

The match had finished 1-1 after 90 minutes as Callum Niven's second-half spot-kick cancelled out Simeon Cobourne's first half opener.

The Brewers lined up with a mix of first-teasers and Academy players and graduates - with midfielder Kieran Wallace getting his first competitive minutes since suffering a knee injury in last season’s 2-1 win at Charlton Athletic.

Wallace played just under 80 minutes as he steps up his recovery, following his return to first-team training at St George’s Park.

Loanee Ellery Balcombe lined up in goal behind a back four of Ben McLean, Luke Redfern, Thierry Latty-Fairweather and skipper Deji Oshilaja, playing tonight to keep himself match fit during his three-game suspension following that red card last weekend.

Doing likewise was Jonny Smith, who started on the opposite wing to Danny Rowe, with Academy striker Niven up front. They played ahead of a midfield triumvirate of Wallace, Ciaran Gilligan and Charlie Williams.

The first chance of the game fell Albion’s way with two Professional Development Phase youngsters combining to good effect - Williams playing an inch-perfect through ball to Niven, who found himself at a tight angle but had space to drill a low shot at goal that Daniel Platt did well to save with his legs and turn behind.

But a minute later, the Yeltz took the lead - COBOURNE got onto the end of a dangerous near-post cross from Robert Evans and flicked it at goal. Balcombe got a foot to the effort but could not prevent it hitting the back of the net.

Williams was central to a lot of Albion attacks in the first half and some good interplay between him and Rowe culminated in the latter squaring to Smith, who was unfortunate as the ball bobbled on arrival and the winger could only turn his effort over.

Smith would hit the crossbar on 15 minutes - hitting a wicked dipping effort from 25 yards that was over Platt but rattled the woodwork and went over.

Rowe got goalside of his marker in the 22nd minute after a neat through pass from Niven and worked his way into the box, but opted to square rather than shoot and Town were able to scramble it clear before Niven could pounce.


The Brewers began the second half on the front foot and were given an almost immediate chance to equalise when Niven was bundled to the ground in the box.
NIVEN stepped up himself and coolly converted, sending Platt the wrong way from 12 yards.

There was little in the way of clearcut chances for the remainder of the second half - the hosts coming close through Brett Lloyd who sent an effort over their under pressure, while Albion felt they should have had a second penalty when Niven again was sent to the ground, but this time saw no change from the officials.


And so, once again in the Birmingham Senior Cup, the tie went to penalties.

Albion converted three in a row through Oshilaja, Niven and Gilligan as Balcombe made two good saves - allowing Rowe to convert the winning spot kick and send the Brewers through to the third round.

BREWERS: Balcombe, Oshilaja (C), Wallace (Nyahwema 79), Smith, Rowe, Niven, Gilligan, Williams (Niemczyk 79), Redfern, McLean, Latty-Fairweather (Radcliffe 46).

Sub not used: Moore.

Advertisement block