Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


27 November 2021

ALBION made it two wins in a week as second half goals from Tom'O'Connor and Daniel Jebbison saw the Brewers through to a comfortable three points against Doncaster Rovers

The Brewers had to be patient after a goalless first half in which they dominated for long spells without being able to find a route to goal but ten minutes into the second half they grabbed an advantage they would not relinquish when O'Connor's curling free kick from wide on the right evaded everyone to give Albion's sdet-piece expert another goal.

The second goal had an element of controversy as Jebbison had to wait for the officials to confer and decide that his goal was going to stand after he calmly flicked the ball past the Rovers keeper to make it three in a week for the Sheffield United loanee.

Unsurprisingly, given the 4-0 victory in midweek, it was an unchanged starting line-up for the visit of Rovers. The only change came amongst the substitutes where Michael Mancienne, returning from suspension was preferred over Omari Patrick.

Albion picked up where they left off on Tuesday penning the visitors deep into their own box in the opening stages and an early chance went begging on five minutes, Jebbison getting to the bye line and crossing low for Hemmings who scuffed a first time effort across the face of goal with Tom Hamer racing in at the back post but unable to find the net after solid work by Pontus Dahlberg in the Rovers goal.

And when Rovers struggled to clear a corner on ten minutes Albion were able to work the ball out to Terry Taylor outside the box but the midfielder was unable to keep his rising drive low enough to trouble Dahlberg.

Albion continued to enjoy the lions share of the game, despite Doncaster having the wind at their backs in the opening period, but were struggling for clear cut openings in the tricky conditions, Conor Shaughnessy straining to head a free kick from O'Connor wide of the post one of few decent chances.

As things continued to follow a particularly scrappy course Albion almost nudged themselves in front when Hemmings header from the edge of the box was picked up by Ryan Leak and his poked effort was saved by Dahlberg with Jonny Smith unable to turn home the loose ball.

Half time: Burton Albion 0-0 Doncaster Rovers

Albion tried to pick up the pace in the second half and a driving run from Jebbison fed Akins on the left, his cross finding Hemmings but a combination of Dahlberg and defender Branden Horton denying him.

But the breakthrough came on 55 minutes when O'CONNOR took control of a free kick juts outside the box wide on the right and his curling ball into the middle was searching for a team mate in the middle but found its way into the back of the Rovers net.

Almost immediately Rovers had a chance to level things when Joe Dodoo skipped around Garratt but Leak was back defending to make sure the ball deflected out off the striker.

Jebbison saw a close range header blocked as he tried to nod home an O'Connor corner and a flurry of corners saw Albion go close to extending their lead and there was another let off for the visitors when Smith outpaced Tommy Rowe on the right and cut inside to curl an effort inches wide of the far post.

A second goal looked on the cards when Hamer picked out Jebbison in the box but his back heeled effort was just about kept out by Dahlberg.

Smith was having a frustrating afternoon and having seen one effort go just wide he fired one straight at the keeper before being left with his head in his hand when he slipped the ball past the keeper only for it to bounce back off the inside of the post.

The second goal came on 75 minutes a scramble in the Doncaster box finished at close range by JEBBISON but only confirmed after a consultation between referee Peter Wright and his assistant Andy Hendley who determined that Jebbison had picked the ball up after it came off a Rovers defender.

Albion looked comfortable for the remainder of the game on a 2-0 lead and in the dying seconds it probably should have been three, Hamer miscuing a volley off target after a deep cross from substitute Charlie Lakin.

ALBION: Garratt; Shaughnessy, Leak, Borthwick-Jackson; Hamer, Taylor (Chapman, 85), O'Connor, Akins; Smith (Lakin, 85), Jebbison (Mancienne, 88), Hemmings.
Substitutes: Hawkins, Morris, Powell, Amadi-Holloway.

GOALS: ALBION - O'Connor (55), Jebbison (75)

Referee: Peter Wright

Attendance 2,954


Advertisement block