Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


19 December 2022

Match Reports


19 December 2022

AN EXCEPTIONAL Dylan Scott scored five as Burton Albion’s Youth Development Side hit Mansfield Town for six in a perfect Christmas send-off.

In their final game of the year, the Young Brewers were rampant after the game was moved to the Pirelli Stadium 3G pitch due to a frozen pitch at St George’s Park on Friday.

Despite moving venue and a 90-minute delay to the game, Albion looked hungry right from the first whistle, pressing with intent and winning the ball high up the pitch.

However, the breakthrough came in bizarre fashion. After collecting the ball from a corner, Mansfield keeper Owen Mason was involved in an off-the-ball incident where he was adjudged to have brought down Toby Oakes and the referee awarded Burton the penalty.

Up stepped Dylan Scott to calmly place it in the bottom corner giving Burton the lead and SCOTT his first of the afternoon with 10 minutes on the clock.

After that opening goal, Mansfield enjoyed their best spell of the game. Keeping the ball and nullifying the Young Brewers dangerous attack brought with it their best chance of the half 20 minutes in, when Jakub Kruszynski whipped in a lovely ball right onto the head of Ben Whelan, but his glanced header went just wide of Dan Moore’s goal.

The Stags weren’t able to keep Albion’s frontline quite for too much longer. Just five minutes before half time, Burton’s high press came with its reward. Ché Ranger won the ball back in the Mansfield half and played it to the ever dangerous Charlie Williams. Williams ran at the defence before unselfishly squaring it to SCOTT to put home his and Albion’s second. 


At the start of the second half, the Young Brewers held a very good defensive shape making it very hard for Mansfield to break through. With every cut pass, it was evident the Stags were getting ever more frustrated, committing more men forward and leaving themselves open at the back.

On 68 minutes, Mansfield could have halved the deficit if it hadn’t been for Moore in the Burton goal. A tremendous triple save, denying Daniel Organ twice before smothering McKeal Abdullah’s close-range effort preserved Albion’s two-goal cushion and clean sheet.

Mansfield would go on to rue their missed chances just five minutes later. Ranger broke down the left-hand side before once again picking out SCOTT who took a touch, turned and fired into the back of the net to clinch his hat-trick and Burton’s third with 15 minutes left.

It was one-way traffic after the third with Mansfield understandably getting frustrated with each other. On 78 minutes, three became four when Drew Robinson's freekick was spilled by Mason and Toby OAKES was the first on scene to tuck home from close range for 4-0.

Scott looked determined throughout to add as many goals to his tally as possible and just moments later, he drove at the Stags defence once more before cutting inside and shooting. SCOTT'S shot looked to be going in but a deflection made sure that Mason couldn’t get anywhere near it and Burton had their fifth.

The young striker's hunger for goals was on show for all to see, even with his side 5-0 up with a few minutes to go, he continued to press and chase down and ball he could. SCOTT was rewarded once again when he bullied two Mansfield defenders off the ball before reversing the ball past the wrong-footed Mason to add his fifth and give Albion a tremendous 6-0 win to finish the year off in style.

The win takes the Young Brewers into the Christmas break in good form winning the last of their two league games and looking to kick on in the new year.


Albion: Moore, Maginness, Ranger (Nyahwema, 77), Tamen, Delap, Gilbert, Baker-McKay (Bennett, 66), Oakes, Scott, Robinson, Williams (Knowles, 84).

Unused Subs: Dudek, Ademiluyi.

Goals: Scott (10, 40, 73, 81, 87), Oakes (77).

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account