Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


29 January 2022

SAM Hughes proved to be the Brewers matchwinner as Albion came from behind to win away from home for the second time in a row on the road, sealing an impressive 2-1 win at Lincoln City.

An entertaining, but ultimately goalless first half paved the way for three goals after the break with John Marquis pouncing on some slack defending to fire home juts four minutes after the break but a strong response saw Albion equalise through Joe Powell just seven minutes later and although Lincoln had chances to go back in front it was Albion looking stronger in the second half and a typically powerful towering header from Hughes grabbed all three points with ten minutes remaining to make it four away wins for the season.

Seeking an improved performance and a response to Tuesday's late defeat against MK Dons boss Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink went for three changes in the middle of the park against the improving Imps. William Kokolo, after two eye-catching substitute appearances, earned a first start in the left wing-back role in place of Cameron Borthwick-Jackson whilst there were recalls for Conor Shaughnessy and Ciaran Gilligan at the expense of Terry Taylor and Jacob Maddox.

Early chances came at both ends. Albion winning a corner in the first minute after good link-up between Gilligan and Jebbison with keeper Josh Griffiths snuffing out the danger before the home keeper had to hurriedly clear his lines when he miscontrolled and almost allowed Jebbison in.

Lincoln's first effort came shortly afterwards when new signing John Marquis found himself in the box but with the angle against him he fired over.

Gassan Ahadme was inches away from that elusive first Brewers goal when John Brayford headed a deep cross from Oshilaja back towards goal and the reent signing got a flick onto the ball but not quite enough to find the back of the net. Lincoln immediately responded with only some superb last ditch defending denying the Lincoln attack.

Griffiths produced a smart stop moment later when a corner was cleared to Oshilaja and his shot was smartly turned goalwards by Jebbison with the game still barely fifteen minutes old.

Albion were forced into a substitution with just under half an hour on the clock with Ahadme seemingly struggling and Louis Molut sent on to partner Jebbison in attack.

Lincoln were looking threatening when they got the ball into the Burton box and ex-Derby youngster Morgan Whittaker found space in a tight area to prod goalwards with Garratt equal to it to push the ball away from danger.

Moult had his first attempt on goal on 39 minutes a curling cross from Hamer finding him in the centre of the box but his header was too close to Griffiths.

The clock was ticking down towards half time whedn Griffiths produced an outstanding save to keep his side level. Joe Powell hooked the ball back into the danger area and Shaughnessy volleyed across goal with Griffiths extending an arm to push the ball away at full stretch.

Half time: Lincoln City 0-0 Burton Albion

The second half was only four minutes in when Albion were made to pay for some poor defending allowed Cohen Bramall's cross to bounce all the way through the six yard box where MARQUIS reacted first to fire home from close range.

Griffiths again proved himself to be the only thing between Albion and a goal when he again went full to his left to deny Moult from a curling effort. But Albion were back on terms on 56. A scsramble in the box saw the ball fall to the feet of POWELL and he slammed the ball home from close range.

Albion looked the likeliest to get the next goal in the following minutes with Moult seeing a couple of efforts blocked but Lincoln were quick to repond with both Marquis and Whittaker forcing fingertip saves from Garratt.

It was anyone's game now and Griffiths made another vital intervention with eighteen to go getting juts enough contact on a Powell cross to take it off the head of JEbbison launching himself at the ball at the far post.

Ten minutes remained when Albion hit the front. Jebbison's pacey run won a corner and Powell's delivery was right onto the head of HUGHES who made no mistake from only a couple of yards out.

Terry Taylor replaced Gilligan with three minutes left as Albion looked to tie down the midfield and see the game out.And as the final minute of normal time beckoned it was Powell, with a goal and an assist to show for his afternoon's work that took his leave as Michael Mancienne came on for the closing moments. Apart from a late corner there was little to worry Albion as they saw the game out comfortably.

ALBION: Garratt; Hughes, Brayford, Oshilaja; Hamer, Shaughnessy, Gilligan (Taylor, 87), Kokolo; Powell (Mancienne, 90); Ahadme (Moult, 29), Jebbison.
Substitutes: Hawkins, Borthwick-Jackson, Smith, Lakin.

GOALS: LINCOLN - Marquis (49) ; ALBION - Powell (56), Hughes (80)

Referee: Charles Breakspear

Attendance: 9,159 (450 away)

Advertisement block