Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


11 March 2022

Club News


11 March 2022

BURTON Albion’s Professional Development Phase side registered their third clean sheet in four competitive matches after drawing 0-0 with Rotherham United on Tuesday afternoon.

Clear-cut chances were few and far between during a well-contested affair in South Yorkshire between two sides who have each produced some impressive results since the turn of the year.

The Young Brewers threatened on occasion through the likes of Jakub Niemczyk and Callum Niven, but in the end had to settle for a point on their final away outing before next week’s EFL Youth Alliance Cup semi-final against Preston North End.

Arguably Albion’s best opportunity to score fell to Niemczyk just seven minutes into the contest, when Niven slid the ball into his path, but the Polish winger’s effort struck the crossbar before bouncing away from Rotherham’s goal.

A lot of the Millers’ attacking play during the game came through winger Sam Greenhouse, whose cross found Jake Champion just moments later, but Connor Pace was well-positioned to divert Champion’s shot wide of Greg Lewis’ net.

Burton looked to overload the hosts’ left flank in particular during the first half, with full-back Ben Maginness enjoying a fair amount of possession. In the 13th minute, he picked out Niven with a neat cross from the right, but the striker’s header was saved by Nat Ford.

Midway through the first period, Niven had some joy on the same flank, finding Dylan Scott with a low cross, but the versatile attacker could not divert the ball goalwards from inside the Rotherham area. Niven found himself in a similar position to Scott minutes later after being fed by Joseph Nyahwema, but also missed the target with his effort.

Inside the other penalty box, Brewers goalkeeper Lewis made his first significant stop of the afternoon in the 34th minute, denying Curtis Durose impressively after the Millers captain had been played in by Mason Booth.

Just before the interval, attacking duo Niven and Niemczyk combined well on the left flank to create another fairly good chance, but unfortunately the latter’s shot flew over Ford’s crossbar.

Albion continued to try to break the deadlock after the break and went close to doing exactly that less than three minutes into the second half, when Pace’s dipping free-kick effort was tipped around the post by Ford. The Rotherham stopper’s gloves were then stung once more before the hour mark after Nyahwema tried his luck with a shot from distance having received the ball from Niemczyk.

The Millers grew into the half as it progressed but could not find a way past Lewis, who stood his ground excellently in the 67th minute to hold onto Billy Carroll’s headed effort.

In the latter stages, Ciaran McGuckin went close with a lob, before playing Zack Bond through on goal nine minutes later, but Lewis sprinted off his line and thwarted the substitute to ensure the Brewers returned to Staffordshire with a point.

BREWERS: Lewis, Maginness, Raine, Robinson, Oakes, Emery, Scott, Pace, Niven (c), Nyahwema, Niemczyk. Subs not used: Moore (GK), Hill, Power

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account