Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


12 November 2022

Match Reports


12 November 2022

ALBION came from two goals down against play-off chasing Charlton Athletic but ultimately had to settle for a point after the visitors equalised to cancel out Victor Adeboyejo's stunning strike.

The Albion striker bagged his tenth of the campaign midway through the second half with an outstanding finish to complete a Burton turnaround after Deji Oshilaja and Tom Hamer had cancelled out Charlie Kirk's brace of goals before half time.

The Brewers pushed for a winner but were pegged back with fifteen minutes to go when Jesurun Rak-Sakyi showed great composure to lob the ball over Viljami Sinisalo and resure a point for Ben Garner's side.

Dino Maamria opted for three changes from the side that progressed in the FA Cup against Needham Market seven days ago. With experienced defender Adrian Mariappa struggling for fitness skipper and former Addicks defender Oshilaja dropped into the back four as all the changes came in the midfield and attacking areas. Tyler Onyango returned to the side after being rested in the Cup and there was a welcome return for acedemy graduate Ciaran Gilligan who successfully came through an hour in the Birmingham Senior Cup in the week. Joe Powell, scorer of the second goal against Needham Market also returned to the side as both Davis Keillor-Dunn and Charlie Lakin dropped out of the side. New signing Joe Dodoo immediately came onto the bench having signed in time to be registered for the game.

Albion started positively and had their visitors penned in for the early minutes of the gamepushing and probing for an opening with a series of throws and corners looking to test out replacement keeper Craig MacGillivray who only stepped into the Charlton team after an injury to regular Joe Wollacott in the warm-up.

Charlton saw off the early Burton threat but didnt make the most of their brief spell of possession as Albion pushed on again and Powell twice found himself with opportunities to shoot but missing the target on both occasions.

MacGillivray had to be on his toes on 21 minutes for the first real chance of the game when Hamer's cross found the head of Sam Hughes at the back post and his header was superbly tipped over.

Jonny Smith also decided he was going to try and test the Charlton keeper but his curling shot from 25 yards dropped wide of the upright.

Completely against the run of play it was the Addicks that hit the front on 26 minutes. Centre back Ryan Inniss was allowed to push forwards through the middle and he was able to pick out KIRK to his left and the former Crewe midfielder had the composure to advance into the box and find the far corner of Sinisalo's net.

MacGillivray required attention when he bravey intercepted Powell's cross that was inches from the boot of Adeboyejo looking to pounce on the edge of the six-yard box. The keeper then came up with an assist as a long clearance found its way to KIRK and the midfielder audaciously lobbed the ball over the Brewers keeper to double his tally.

The two goal lead last barely two minutes as Albion provided an immediate response. Hamer was felled on the edge of the box and Taylor's free-kick picked out the head of OSHILAJA who showed great strength to hold off his man and thump a header into the net.

And Albion were level before half time when some lovely football on the edge of the box allowed Onyango to cross for Adeboyejo to chest the ball down for HAMER to lash home.

Half time: Burton Albion 2-2 Charlton Athletic

It was end to end stuff as the second half got under way, Charlton looking to re-establish their lead early on before Albion got back onto the front foot and began to threaten at the other end, Powell seeing a shot through a ruck of bodies end straight into the arms of MacGillivray.

When the goal came it was a thing of beauty as the ball ended up at the feet of ADEBOYEJO and he calmly worked room for an unstoppable effort from just outside the box.

Hughes then planted a header wide of the post from Taylor's corner although there were strong shouts that it hit a Charlton hand and at this stage it was all Albion, Jonny Smith forcing a superb save from MacGillivray on 64 minutes before Oshilaja rose to head the resulting corner wide of the goal.

Adeboyejo left the field to a rapturous ovation when he went off on 68 minutes to be replaced by new boy Dodoo.

Charlton made a double change with a quarter of an hour to go and within seconds were level. Chuks Aneke battled hard near the touchline and threaded a hopeful pass forwards when RAK-SAKYI got to the ball a split second before the advancing Sinisalo and lobbed the ball into the net.

Sam Winnall replaced the tiring Gilligan and he forced MacGillivray into an acrobatic save before Smith did the same from the left wing as Albion went it search of a fourth goal.

Dodoo forced a good save from MacGillivray after being released through on goal by Winnall as neither side opted to settle for a point.

Charlton saw a couple of late chances blocked but neither side could ultimately find a winner at the end of a pulsating encounter.

ALBION: Sinisalo; Hamer, Hughes, Oshilaja, Borthwick-Jackson; Taylor, Gilligan (Winnall, 81), Onyango; Smith (Carayol, 90+1), Adeboyejo (Dodoo, 68), Powell.
Substitutes: Garratt, Keillor-Dunn, Mancienne, Kamwa.

GOALS: ALBION - Oshilaja (38), Hamer (45), Adeboyejo (58) ; CHARLTON - Kirk (26, 36), Rak-Sakyi (75)

Referee: Will Finnie

Attendance: 3,084

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account