Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


4 October 2022

FLEETWOOD Town took all three points from a tightly contested affair where one goal proved enough to settle matters

Albion came up against a resilient Cod Army side under the management of Scott Brown who soaked up early pressure from the Brewers before striking just after the half hour mark through Harvey MacAdam and with chances few and far between in the second half the midfielder's strike proved to be enough to deny Albion another win as they looked to move away from the bottom of the table.

Albion had a couple of good shouts for penalties which came to nothing and a header from skipper John Brayford hit the crossbar but it was the visitors who went back home with victory.

Dino Maamria made three changes to freshen his side up following the win against Forest Green Rovers although one change was enforced courtesy of Tom Hamer's one match suspension. His place went to Elliot Thorpe, handed a full debut at right back whilst there was also a first start for Mustapha Carayol, coming in for Joe Powell. The third change saw Calum Butcher return to the side in place of Terry Taylor in a holding midfield role.

Despite abrisk start from the visitors it was Albion who went direct for the first chance of the evening on five minutes. Ben Garratt's long clearance was helped on by Victor Adeboyejo and Davis Keillor-Dunn seized on the ball to cut inside and forced a save from Jay Lynch. Albion kept the pressure on from the resulting corner and skipper John Brayford rattled the crossbar with a close range header.

Keillor-Dunn then had strong claims for a penalty when he appeared to be brought down by a combination of Lewis WArrington and Toto Nsiala as he looked to latch onto a loose ball on the edge of the six yard box. Referee Charles Breakspear waved away Albion appeals.

And the former Oldham man stung the fingertips of keeper Lynch with a wickedly curling free kick on thirteen minutes after Adeboyejo had drawn a foul on the left hand side.

Fleetwood threatened seriously for the first time on the quarter of an hour mark when a quickly taken free kick almost exposed Albion's right hand side, Carlos Mendes Gomes cutting inside on the edge of the box but curling a shot wide of the post.

Another swift counter on 29 minutes had Shaun Rooney racing in down the Fleetwood right but once inside the box he lifted his shot well over the bar under pressure.

Fleetwood were finding their feet and some flow to their game and Admiral Muskwe was on the end of another flowing move but his shot from inside the box was at an awkward height and he could not quite find the target.

The pressure told eventually and when Rooney and MACADAM combined down the right the latter was able to stride into the box and finish well.

Maamria made a change five minutes before the break withdrawing Keillor-Dunn and bringing on Taylor to stiffen up the midfield.

Half time: Burton Albion 0-1 Fleetwood Town

A loose pass from Jonny Smith early in the second half allowed MacAdam to break forward quickly with Muskwe in support but a poor first touch from the striker allowed Garratt to come out and save at his feet.

Adeboyejo bustled his way through to set Butcher through the middle on 54 minutes but his scuffed shot on the edge of the box lacked the power to threaten the goal but Albion were looking positive in search of an equaliser.

Albion looked to spark something midway through the half with a double change, Sam Winnall and Joe Powell entering the fray in place of Carayol and Butcher.

Adeboyejo had shouts for a penalty on 76 minutes when he bore down on goal and tried to take the ball around the keeper before Fleetwood quickly broke and substitute Callum Morton found himself denied by a smart save from Garratt.

And Morton also missed a gilt edged chance on 81 minutes played through but after skipping around Garratt a long way outside his box the striker contrived to fire wide of an open goal.

Albion raised themselves for another assault on the visitors goal and Smith saw a deflected effort loop just wide after good work from Powell on the left.

New signing Bobby Kamwa got on the pitch for the final minutes as Albion still pushed for an equaliser

ALBION: Garratt; Thorpe, Hughes, Brayford, Borthwick-Jackson; Butcher (Powell, 67), Keillor-Dunn (Taylor, 40), Oshilaja; Smith (Kamwa, 88), Adeboyejo, Carayol (Winnall, 67).
Substitutes: Sinisalo, Onyango, Lakin.


Referee: Charles Breakspear

Attendance: 1,961


Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account