Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


13 September 2022

Match Reports


13 September 2022

ALBION put up a strong showing in their first outing under Dino Maamria but it was Portsmouth who took the points back to the south coast with a 2-0 win at the Pirelli Stadium

The Brewers run of bad luck continued as Sam Hughes was the unfortunate man to see Marlon Pack's cross divert past his own goalkeeper to give the visitors the lead and although Albion pushed strongly for an equaliser it just wouldnt come and Colby Bishop's goal four minutes from time sealed a win for Danny Cowley's men.

Maamria's first team selection saw two changes to the side beaten at Oxford United last time out. Ben Garratt returned in place of Viljami Sinisalo in goal whilst there was a first start of the season for Academy graduate Ciaran Gilligan who replaced Deji Oshilaja. The change also signalled a tactical switch as Albion lined up in a 4-1-4-1 formation.

Garratt was soon called into action as Portsmouth set about trying to extend their five game winning run. Patient build saw the ball worked to skipper Clark Robertson on the left and his drilled cross was straight into the arms of the Burton keeper. Tottenham Hotspur loanee Dane Scarlett was also posing an early threat and a purposeful dart in the box saw him fizz a shot low across goal.

Pompey continued to pressand Garratt made an excellent stop at close quarters to keep out Ronan Curtis' header and also recover to push the ball away from danger as Colby Bishop looked to seize on the loose ball.

As Albion began to settle they looked to string some neat passing moves together, Adeboyejo scuffed a shot goalwards as he lost his balance trying to shoot on the turn and Joe Powell saw a curling effort blocked at close rangeon the edge of the box.

Gilligan found himself in referee Rob Lewis' book on 28 minutes after a crunching challenge on the half way line on Scarlett. Pompey players were incensed but the match official was not to be swayed brandishing the yellow card.

Some excellent link-up play between Gilligan and Adeboyejo just after the half hour sent the ball into the path of Powell but with time to measure a curling effort he was high and wide of the target.

Owen Dale saw an effort deflect wide as the away side went on the attack again and from the resulting corner the ball came out to Curtis who was wayward with his finish, dragging it wide of the post.

As Portsmouth dallied on the ball at the back goalkeeper Josh Griffiths wastefully passed the ball straight to Powell on the edge of the box but in trying to find the perfect shot he delayed too long and allowed his eventual effort to be closed downand blocked.

Half time: Burton Albion 0-0 Portsmouth

Portsmouth began the second half pretty much as they started the first, with a burst of pressure and after a penalty shout was turned down after a tangle in the box from a corner there was a sustained spell of pressure before Albion broke away and had a chance with Keillor-Dunn curling an effort just wide of the goal with Griffiths scrambling.

Portsmouth came with another wave of pressure and just before the hour mark they made it count when Marlon Pack was allowed to fire in a low cross that hit HUGHES and went into the back of Garratt's net.

The visitors quickly went in search of a second and Connor Ogilvie was able to whip a low shot just wide from distance on 62 minutes.

Scarlett had the ball in the back of the net on 65 minutes but referee Lewis was quick to rule it out for the striker's foul on John Brayford in the build up.

Albion rang the changes with twenty minutes to go with Sam Winnall and Mustapha Carayol introduced for their debuts in place of Calum Butcher and Keillor Dunn.

Carayol was quickly into the action with a shot that deflected wide followed by a superb break from his own half that resulted in a cross that.

Winnall was inches away from the equaliser when a Hamer long throw was flicked on and the returning striker could not quite get over the ball to nod home at the far post.

Adeboyejo finished calmly from Carayol's through ball on 83 minutes but the flag of the assistant cut short any Albion celebrations as the Burton striker had just strayed offside.

Four minutes from time BISHOP doubled Pompey's lead with a smart finish to convert OWen Dale's cross.

Albion battled to the end but could not find a way through and must now look for that elusive first win in Devon at the weekend.

ALBION: Garratt; Hamer, Hughes, Brayford, Borthwick-Jackson; Taylor (Thorpe, 84); Powell, Butcher (Winnall, 69), Gilligan (Oshilaja, 73), Keillor-Dunn (Carayol, 69); Adeboyejo.
Substitutes: Sinisalo, Onyango, Thorpe, Lakin.

GOALS: PORTWMOUTH (Hughes own goal, 59, Bishop, 86)

Referee: Robert Lewis

Attendance: 2,949

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account