Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


17 September 2022

BURTON Albion recorded a first victory and a first clean sheet of the season in a terrific away performance at Exeter City this afternoon.

A first Brewers goal for Deji Oshilaja and Davis Keillor-Dunn's fourth of the season secured a fantastic three points, with the Brewers solid and threatening all over the pitch throughout.

One change was made from last Tuesday’s 2-0 defeat at home to Portsmouth, with Deji Oshilaja coming in for Calum Butcher in a straight swap in midfield.

It was a cagey opening period with neither side seriously threatening in the opening 20 minutes or so.

Victor Adeboyejo saw a flash of a chance and went for an overhead kick, but conceded a free kick in catching Adam Hartigan with his foot, while a dangerous low ball from Archie Collins at the other end flashed across the six-yard box but ran behind for a goal kick.

The first shot on target for Albion came through Joe Powell in the 24th minute. A quick counter from the back saw the ball worked to Powell in the centre circle, where he drove forward into space. He looked to have lost out to the centre-halves but kept his foot in and won the ball back, unleashing a snap shot with the outside of his boot that Jamal Blackman did well to parry away.

It was Albion who grew into the game from there - and just shy of the half-hour Powell, from a corner, had two efforts from inside the box that were blocked by red-and-white shirts before the ball was worked to Keillor-Dunn, who stabbed an effort at goal from close-range but saw it deflect narrowly wide of the far post.

Oshilaja was next to see an effort diverted behind by a defender, again from a corner, after Hughes’s header was blocked.

Albion kept pushing and were inches from taking the lead - though there was more than a hint of controversy about Josh Key’s goalline clearance, the ball seeming to bounce off his outstretched elbow on the line, referee Neil Hair completely unmoved by Albion’s protests.


The hosts came out stronger at the start of the second half, with Jay Stansfield looking increasingly threatening - the young striker had the ball in the back of the net from a well-worked move but the offside flag had long been raised, and Stansfield forced Ben Garratt into a smart reflex stop a few minutes shy of the hour after turning a low cross from substitute Harry Kite at goal from close range.

But it would be the Brewers to break the deadlock on 63 minutes. Terry Taylor stood over a free-kick won by John Brayford just inside the Exeter half on the right-hand side, and Brayford would meet that delivery into the box with a header. It was heading to Exeter’s Pierce Sweeney but OSHILAJA stepped in, created space and drilled a superb left-footed effort to the far corner from the left-side of the box.

And it was two just six minutes later, again from a free-kick. This time Powell’s whipped ball found Hughes at the back post - too low for a header, Hughes took his time and lofted a neat ball over the defenders in the six-yard box where KEILLOR-DUNN was waiting to side-foot it home on the half-volley, the ball hitting the ground and then the roof of the net.

It could have been 3-0 just moments later, once again a ball into the box caused problems and Brayford took it down well, sending a low cross-shot across the box which Hamer ran onto, placing an effort to the bottom corner but finding himself denied by a superb save from Blackman.

Exeter retained a threat but were unable to find their way through a resolute Brewers backline - the closest they came to beating Ben Garratt came in the eighth minute of added time, the Brewers keeper pulling off a stunning reflex save to deny Archie Collins. 

And so Albion, backed fantastically by 146 Brewers making the long journey south, took a deserved first victory back to Burton upon Trent.


Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account