Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


1 November 2023

Club News


1 November 2023

Burton Albion’s Professional Development Phase Side booked their place in the Second Round of the FA Youth Cup with a 2-1 win over Port Vale at the Pirelli Stadium.

Kiyan Baker-McKay was the star of the show as he netted the winner in the 84th minute, having earlier set up Dylan Scott for the Brewers’ equaliser. 

The game began in sharp fashion, with a quick kick-off routine from Port Vale resulting in Jack Shorrock forcing Brewers’ keeper, Kamil Dudek into the first save of the game with just 10 seconds on the clock. 

Burton’s first effort followed just two minutes later when Scott held the ball up well on the halfway line and fired an ambitious effort goalward, which eventually landed narrowly wide of Dominic Brook’s right post.  

Brook was almost caught out again in the 11th minute, when he misjudged the flight of a long ball forward, however the Vale keeper recovered to toe the ball away and out for a corner before Charlie Knowles could roll it into the open goal. 

Scott was causing problems for the Vale backline, and he forced Brook into a superb save with his feet from point blank range in the 15th minute. 

After a couple of half chances for Burton, Dudek was called into action again in the 23rd minute as he turned Louis Francies’ poked effort behind for a corner with the Brewers temporarily reduced to 10 men due to an injury to Che Ranger. 

Scott was presented with another opportunity in the 29th minute, when he was sent through on goal by the lively Baker-McKay, but the striker could only lift his attempted lob safely into the gloves of Brook.  


Just 10 minutes after the break, the game sparked into life and the Brewers were presented with their best chance of the evening so far, as Scott placed a side footed effort wide from around seven yards out following Baker-McKay’s cutback. 

The Young Brewers were made to pay just a minute later when Port Vale broke the deadlock. Walters’ free kick was turned against the post by Ben Lomax, who reacted quickest to poke the Valiants ahead from close range on the rebound. 

The Brewers wouldn’t have to wait long to get a golden chance to equalise as just 13 minutes later, Baker-McKay broke away down the right and rolled the ball across the box for Scott. This time, the striker made no mistake, curling an emphatic finish into the corner to level the tie in the 69th minute. 

Scott and Baker-McKay were linking up well, with the former agonisingly unable to connect with the latter’s cross in the 74th minute. 

Scott went close again in the 82nd minute, as he fired a spectacular overhead kick narrowly wide of the top corner from the edge of the box. 

The Brewers’ pressure finally told in the 84th minute when Baker-McKay did superbly to spin Zayn Sadiq, before driving into the box and finishing into the roof of the net to cap off a superb individual performance and send Keith Gilroy’s men into the hat for Round Two. 

Albion held on to book their place in the second round of the FA Youth Cup as they look to extend their cup run, with the potential to play against some of the country's best academies. 


The Young Brewers resume their EFL Youth Alliance season on Saturday when they travel to Yorkshire to take on Huddersfield Town Under 18s. 

Albion: Dudek, Knowles, Ranger (Bilton 24’), Gilbert, Tamen (c), Taroni, Baker-McKay, Mtenga, Scott, Wakelin (Pace 61’), Newall (Svarc 61’) 

Unused Subs: Cleland, Ademiluyi, Cook, Thistleton 

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account