Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


4 October 2023

Club News


4 October 2023

BURTON Albion crashed out of the FA Cup after getting beaten 3-0 by a strong Kidderminster Harriers side.

After playing out a goalless draw at home against the Harriers just two weeks ago, this was always going to be a tough tie for the Brewers to negotiate. The start of the game was going to be an important indicator and it was the Harriers who signalled their intent from the outset, pressing high with plenty of energy and making it difficult for the Brewers to play.

In the 8th minute, Harriers’ Chelsea Tague sliced a forward pass that fell nicely to their centre forward. Her attempted cross was well defended by Sophie Richards at the expense of a corner. The cross from the set play was met on the volley by Lara STEVENS; her effort rolling inside the far post to give the Harriers the lead.

The first chance for the Brewers came in the 17th minute. Hajrah Mahmood released Farrah Hoyle down the right. Hoyle cut inside the defender, captain Molly Maguire, and looked to shoot, but the Harriers defender was able to make a good recovery block. The ball found its way back to Hoyle and she hooked the ball to Millie Drinkhall, but she couldn’t get her volleyed effort on target from a wide area.

The next chance also fell the way of the Brewers. Drinkhall set the ball back to Emily Gillott before turning to run into space. Gillott’s excellent return pass found Drinkhall, who picked out Nina Warrington. Warrington’s first-time shot was on target, but well dealt with by Harriers ‘keeper Amie Preston.

The Brewers were growing into the game and starting to look more dangerous but couldn’t create any clear-cut chances against a well organised Harriers defence. Drinkhall’s long range effort was straight at the keeper, and Gillott broke free from Hoyle’s pass but couldn’t get the bouncing ball under control in time to get her shot away. Warrington had the next effort, but her shot from outside the penalty area deflected off a defender and out for a corner.

Despite the Brewers’ dominance during this part of the game, Harriers managed to score against the run of play in the 37th minute. A rare foray looked to have come to nothing when Hoyle’s attempted clearance rebounded off a Harriers player and straight into the path of Imy Butler. Her pass found STEVENS, whose smart turn and finish found the bottom corner, leaving Olena Tatarczuk with no chance. 

The Harriers looked to build on this goal and won a free kick just outside the area when Ciara Fray brought down Stevens. The resulting set piece was taken by Chloe Whyley and her fine effort brought a great save from Tatarczuk, diving away to her right.

The Brewers managed to create one last chance before the half time interval. A good interchange between Hoyle, Drinkhall and Elisha Gourlay resulted in the ball being played through to Warrington. However, once again, the final effort was straight at the Harriers’ keeper.




Chances were hard to come by at the start of the second half, with the Harriers working hard to manage the game. The Brewers did still manage some good passing play, but their shots were still coming from a distance that didn’t trouble Preston in goal; captain Charlotte Jarvis with the first after the break in the 51st minute, followed quickly by another from Drinkhall.

Brewer manager Joe Kirkland made his first changes in the 53rd minute, one of which was enforced. Left back Ciara Fray, in chasing a Harriers through ball, twisted awkwardly and injured her knee. Following treatment, she was helped off the pitch, clearly in a lot of pain.

The Brewers pushed to find a way back into the game and managed to fashion a good opportunity in the 60th minute. Jarvis’ free-kick was played forwards to the Harriers area where it was flicked on by substitute Bella Wright into the path of Drinkhall. A good first touch set up a shooting chance, but unfortunately her left foot effort drifted wide of the far post.

A few minutes later another difficult chance fell to Drinkhall. Jarvis made a determined run through the centre of the pitch and found Warrington. Her pass found Drinkhall in the wide right position, but this time the final shot, from a tight angle, was off target.

Harriers killed the game off in the 69th minute. A free kick from wide on the left was taken by Tague. Richards won the first header for the Brewers, but the ball fell kindly to WHYLEY, who steered a volleyed effort into the bottom corner to make it 3-0.

The Brewers continued to search for a goal. Gillott made a run past two players in her own half and played the ball to Gourlay. Her first-time ball found Wright who moved forwards and turned inside the defender before releasing a shot which, again, was straight at Preston in the Harriers goal.

It was the Harriers who looked most likely to add to their scoreline as the game wore on. In the 86th minute, their substitute worked some space wide on the left before delivering a cross to Stevens, but her finish was off target.




After the match, Burton Albion Women's manager Joe Kirkland said: “This was tough to take given our good start to the season and it’s now down to how we bounce back and give a positive reaction against Worcester on Sunday. We know that we weren’t at our best today, but there was still a period in the game where we dominated and could have scored to get back into the game.

"The important factor for us is that we need to look after the ball better so that we can turn our dominant periods, and chances, into goals.”


Albion: Tatarczuk, Mahmood, Richards, Jarvis (c), Fray (Jubb 53), Naqwi, Gourlay, Gillott, Hoyle (Wright 53), Warrington, Drinkhall (Stewart 69)


Goals: Stevens (8, 37), Whyley (69)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account