Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


28 October 2023

Match Reports


28 October 2023

BURTON Albion and Leyton Orient had to settle for a point apiece from a goalless draw in the first ever meeting of the two clubs.

Neither keeper was seriously tested throughout the game with clear chances at a premium although skipper Deji Oshilaja could have won in late on and Orient striker Ruel Sotiriou forced Max Crocombe into a good save in added-on time.

Albion showed three changes after the long trip to Carlisle with at least two changes forced by injury. Both Kwadwo Baah and Steve Seddon were ruled out with knocks picked up against the Cumbrians with Josh Walker and Jake Caprice recalled to the side whilst Mustapha Carayol, who also picked up a knock, was fit enough to make the bench with Ciaran Gilligan brought in to play a more central role.

The Brewers quickly created an opening when Caprice, starting on the right-hand side got past his man to deliver a cross to the near post for Walker to flick a header straight at Sol Brynn.

Much of Orient’s good early work came through winger Jordan Graham on their right-hand side but the former Birmingham man went down in a heap on nine minutes after Tom Hamer blocked his angled drive and in clear distress had to be stretchered from the pitch to be replaced by George Moncur.

Albion picked up the pace when the game got back under away and Joe Powell was inches away from another stunner on seventeen minutes, this time a right foot curler from outside the box that beat Brynn but bounced just wide.

Joe Pigott fashioned a chance for himself when a press from Orient forced Albion to turn over possession around their own box midway through the half. The move resulted in a corner that was pinged to Tom James on the edge of the box but fortunately for Albion Walker was on hand to make the block inside his own six-yard box.

It was turning into something of a scrappy first half with neither side seemingly able to create much but Powell got another sight of goal on 41 minutes when Brynn could only half clear Hamer’s long throw, but the Albion man put his rising effort over the angle of post and bar.

Orient almost caught Albion on the break when Sotiriou turned Moon and looked to be clean through but a heavy touch enabled Crocombe to come out and smother the danger.


After a tame start to the second half Mark Helm almost brought it to life when a combination of play between Walker and Lubala created an opening in the middle of the box but the young midfielder could not steer the ball wide of Brynn.

Albion’s first change came on 72 minutes with Mason Bennett sent on for Gilligan and the forward almost teed Hamer up for the opening goal, the Orient defence doing just enough to block.

Oshilaja missed a glorious chance to break the deadlock momentes after Josh Gordon had entered the fray. The substitute helped the ball into the area when Ryan Sweeney was able to steer it into the skipper in space but with the goal at his mercy he blazed over.

Crocombe kept out a rising drove from Sotiriou in added in time on a day when chances went begging at both ends and both sides had to settle for a point.


ALBION: Crocombe; Caprice, Moon, Sweeney, Hamer; Powell; Helm, Gilligan (Bennett, 72); Walker, Lubala (Gordon, 82), Oshilaja.

Substitutes: Blackman, Harper, Stockton, Carayol, Tamen.


Referee: Charles Breakespear


Attendance: 3,359

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account