Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


27 September 2023

Club News


27 September 2023

BURTON Albion’s Young Brewers pulled off an impressive second half comeback as they overturned a two-goal deficit to defeat Rotherham United’s Under 18s 3-2 at St George’s Park.

Two goals from Dylan Scott, either side of Kiyan Baker-McKay’s equaliser were enough to secure the three points for The Brewers’ Professional Development Phase Side.

They were forced to claim the three points the hard way however, after falling two goals behind inside the first 15 minutes.

The game began in even fashion with chances at both ends before Rotherham took the lead in the 12th minute when a curling cross from the right wing was headed into the top corner.

Just five minutes later it was 2-0 as a long ball from the Rotherham ‘keeper was latched onto and poked past the onrushing Kamil Dudek in the Burton goal.

Despite the early goals, Burton grew into the game as the first half wore on, with Scott twice missing chances from Charlie Knowles’ crosses.

The hosts’ biggest chance of the half came right on the stroke of the half time, as William Ademiluyi could only glance a header wide of the far post following Cyprian Mtenga’s cross.


Half-Time: Burton Albion 0-2 Rotherham United


The Young Brewers didn’t have to wait long to get on the scoresheet after half-time as just three minutes after the break Scott drilled a shot into the top corner from 25 yards after a Rotherham goal kick broke his way in midfield.

Keith Gilroy’s side found themselves back on level terms in the 58th minute when a driving run from Che Ranger allowed Baker-McKay to ghost into the box and slide the ball under the onrushing keeper.

The comeback was complete in the 66th minute when Ranger, who’d been lively all afternoon, cut the ball back from the left wing, where Scott was on hand to finish low across goal for his second of the afternoon.

The game was almost put to bed just two minutes later when Ranger beat his man once again and struck the base of the post with a right-footed effort.

The Brewers faced a late fightback from Rotherham however. In the 88th minute, Dudek’s goal came under threat from a free kick, but the resulting header looped harmlessly over the bar.

Dudek was called upon again deep into stoppage time, as he produced two fine saves to ensure Burton hung on to maintain their one hundred percent record in the Youth Alliance League this season.


Full-Time: Burton Albion 3-2 Rotherham United


Albion: Dudek, Tamen, Ranger, Wakelin, Gilbert, Thistleton, Knowles, Mtenga, Scott, Baker-McKay, Ademiluyi


Subs: Williamson, Cleland, Willow

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account