Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


20 April 2024

Match Reports


20 April 2024

THREE first half goals saw Albion over the line to a nerve jangling 3-2 win over Reading in the final home game of the season.

Mason Bennett, Mustapha Carayol and Bobby Kamwa were all on target in a pulsating first half giving Albion a 3-1 half time lead after Lewis Wing had halved the Royals arrears with a direct free kick.

Sam Smith set up a tense last half hour with a penalty midway through the second half but Albion did enough to give their survival chances a huge boost going into the final week of the season.

Four changes were made to the starting line-up for the last home game of the season. Tuesday’s man of the match, Steve Seddon returned at left back in a back four with Mason Bennett returning to lead the attack and Carayol and Kamwa providing support from wide.

Reading had an early chance when a angled ball forwards was crossed in low by Harvey Knibbs for Sam Smith to scuff the ball into the gloves of Max Crocombe.

But Albion got the start they must have dreamed of with a goal on five minutes. Powell curled in a low free kick and BENNETT was able to fire it home at the second attempt from inside the six-yard box.

And things got even better with a second goal on eleven minutes, CARAYOL seizing on a loose clearance by keeper Joel Pereira to run to the edge of the box before curling a sumptuous effort into the bottom corner.

Kamwa was denied a third on 16 minutes by a good sprawling save from the Reading keeper after a lucky bounce from Mark Helm’s challenge on the edge of the box.

Powell needed attention after pulling up midway through the half and had to come off on 26 minutes to be replaced by Ciaran Gilligan.

Ryan Sweeney was having to do some stirring defensive work as Reading desperately sought a way back into the game. The big defender produced a big block to deny Jeriel Dorsett before standing tall to ensure that Femi Azeez’s cross could not cause major problems.

It took a set piece for Reading to halve the deficit with WING curling a 20 yard free kick directly beyond Crocombe.

Albion immediately spurned a chance to re-establish their two goal lead when Sam Hughes got his head to Carayol’s corner but could only watch it bounce wide of the post.

The third goal came at a good time, just before half time with KAMWA finally slamming the ball home after Gilligan’s shot had been deflected and saved and put back into the danger area by Seddon with Ryan Sweeney heading the ball into the path of the Brewers attacker.


Reading set about their task of getting back into it again with zest at the start of the second half, Azeez stinging the palms of Crocombe on 51 minutes with a rising drive.

When Jasper Moon was adjudged to have brought down Kelvin Ehibhatiomhan just before the hour mark it was set up for SMITH to beat Crocombe from the spot and get the Royals back to within a goal.

With Carayol struggling and needing to come off Albion made a double change with Joe Hugill and Toto Nsiala replacing Carayol and Kamwa.

Both Bennett and Mark Helm picked up knocks in 50/50 challenges and had to come off with Deji Oshilaja and Ademola Ola-Adebomi providing the fresh legs from the bench.

Reading continued to press but a strong defensive rearguard ensured that despite numerous balls into the box Albion’s defence would not be breached again and referee Scott Oldham’s final whistle after seven added minutes brought relief and renewed hope.


ALBION: Crocombe; Moon, Hughes, Sweeney, Seddon; Harper, Powell (Gilligan, 26), Helm (Ola-Adebomi, 78), Kamwa (Nsiala, 64), Bennett (Oshilaja, 78), Carayol (Hugill, 64).

Substitutes: Blackman, Scott.


GOALS: ALBION – Bennett (5), Carayol (11), Kamwa (42) ; READING – Wing (34), Smith (59 pen)


Referee: Scott Oldham


Attendance: 4,487

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account