Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


2 March 2024

Match Reports


2 March 2024

ALBION fought hard to make sure they took a point away from Cheltenham Town after a goalless draw at the Completely-Suzuki Stadium.

Chances were at a real premium in a game full of endeavour but short on real quality in the attacking third from either side.

Substitute Joe Hugill almost nicked all three points in added-on time with an effort that was cleared off the line as the ball held up in the six-yard box.

After back-to-back home defeats, Martin Paterson tweaked his side looking to get back to winning ways on the road. Mason Bennett missed the game through an injury picked up in midweek against Carlisle with Ciaran Gilligan returning in midfield. Defence also saw a tweak with Tom Hamer moving into the back three and Tolaji Bola switching to the right as Steve Seddon returned.

Mark Helm did well to create a shooting opportunity for himself in the tenth minute, Deji Oshilaja applying good pressure to win the ball high up the pitch but after drifting past a couple of defenders, Helm saw his curling shot from 25 yards deflected away from danger.

Ademola Ola-Adebomi also found himself with a sight of goal as Albion continued to press but his low effort was easily gathered in by Luke Southwood in the home goal.

Liam Sercombe combined well with Matty Taylor to create a decent chance for the hosts as the game headed towards the twenty-minute mark, but skipper John Brayford was in the right place to get a solid block to Sercombe’s shot.

Taylor went down in the box under pressure from Seddon on 28 minutes, but referee Thomas Parsons was completely unimpressed and waved away vociferous appeals.

A quick free kick allowed Sercombe to deliver a dangerous cross into the Albion six-yard box, but Tom Hamer did just enough to deflect Taylor’s close-range effort off target.

Seddon connected well with an effort from the edge of the box as the half headed towards five minutes to go, but a rising and curling effort failed to trouble Southwood.


A scrappy start to the second half only saw Deji Oshilaja pick up a yellow card in the opening exchanges before a scramble in the Cheltenham box, caused by Hamer’s long throw, resulted in Ola-Adebomi finding the ball at his feet but on the turn, he could not steer a rising effort on target.

And the crystal Palace loanee was close again just after the hour mark, Oshilaja finding space for a low cross from the right and the youngster was inches away from connecting inside the six-yard box.

Cheltenham began to apply some pressure on the Burton goal and George Lloyd failed to get enough curl on his shot on 69 minutes before finding himself replaced by Aidan Keena.

Albion’s first change came on 75 minutes with Gilligan taken off to allow Joe Hugill to join Ola-Adebomi in attack.

Ola-Adebomi, Helm and Seddon all made way on 83 minutes as Rekeem Harper, Bobby Kamwa and Toto Nsiala provided the fresh legs for the closing stages.

Three minutes into added on time and Albion had the best chance to grab all three points. A long clearance found Hugill through and with Southwood having committed to coming a long way out of goal the Manchester Unnited loanee knocked it goalwards only for Tom Bradbury to scamper back and clear off the line. Albion maintained the pressure and Sweeney fired an angled drive over the bar.

It was the last chance of a scrappy game as referee Parsons brought a tight game to a close.

ALBION: Crocombe; Hamer, Brayford, Sweeney; Bola, Powell, Helm (Kamwa, 83), Gilligan (Hugill, 75), Seddon (Nsiala, 82); Oshilaja; Ola-Adebomi (Harper, 82).

Substitutes: Blackman, Hudlin, Carayol.

Referee: Thomas Parsons

Attendance: 4,133 (263 away)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account